12 days Everest base camp trek
Either with group, as solo or with family members / friends 12 days Everest base camp trekking holiday is more than a mountain adventure hiking trip among the trekkers. Before your trekking expedition to EBC; there might be few questions people generally asked are;
1) What is the elevation or height of Everest Base Camp?
The elevation or height of Everest base camp is 5,364 meters and elevation of Kala Patthar or Kalapatthar is 5,545 meters (18,192 ft). Kala Patthar is highest point of the trek.
2) How long does it take to climb Mount Everest Base Camp?
It can be complete in 13 days too (total duration in Nepal) if you have limited time but 17 days in Nepal is good for your comfortable Everest base camp trek where walking days will be 12 which offers spectacular scenery & Himalayan view.
For the Everest base camp trek to begin, we take an amazing mountain flight to Lukla at the altitude of 2800 meters and suitable for private and group advneture trek seekers. This is quite a hike in altitude so it’s advantageous to walk for three or four hours to Phakding, which lies at the slightly lower altitude i.e. 2600 meters. This is nearly all downhill or flat. If you arrive early you can walk over to the Gumba (Buddhist Monastery). Next day in EBC hiking, we will walk to Namche Bazaar (3500m). This is only 6 to7 hours easy walk and reasonably level. You will be walking through a lovely agricultural area with pines and snow clad peaks in the distance on the way to Namche Bazaar. The next day should be an acclimatization day in Namche but there are things we can do if we keep an eye on the altitude. Some of you will need this rest day so as to let your body catch up to the elevation and cope with the environment before carrying on. Namche has bookshops, gift shops, bakeries and monasteries which you might love to explore.
We will have an early climb up to the ridge (about 20 minutes) to see the big peaks. Then, after breakfast, we will probably go for a day -walk out to Thamo. This is only two hours away but if we dawdle, look at everything, take lots of photos and have lunch there, it may take time. From Thamo you can experience great views of Mt. Everest, Thamserku, Kwangde and Ama Dablam which are highlight of trek to Everest base camp. There’s facility of a great lodge too. After continuous walk of 3 hours, we will get Thangboche.
On the next day, we will climb up to Dingboche which can feel strenuous. After an initial climb, it is long and gradual but you are at an altitude of around 4,000 meters now, so it feels hard. The views are fantastic from here, Lhotse and Ama Dablam in particular. If you are feeling up to it, the last day will be a walk up to Chukung, which is about two hours away and only 300 meters up. The views are AMAZING. We will be in a bowl surrounded by peaks with glaciers glittering in the sun. If you are feeling fantastically fit (most unlikely) you can stay overnight at Chukung and climb Chukung Ri with a guide the next morning. We have two nights at Dingboche.
Next day we will walk up to Lobuche (4950m) and the next day after that, Ghorakshep (5140m) which is the nearest spot from Everest base camp. This day we will visit Everest base camp (5,364 meters – this is the dream of your adventure, world’s highest base camp for trekking). And another day we will make our journey to Kalapatthar (5545m) to have a close view of Mount Everest range, this is the ultimate destination of Everest base camp trekking. And then, we continue hiking to Pangboche (3,985 m) and continuously walk for days to Mong La (3850m), Namche Bazaar, Phakding and Lukla to finish your dream hiking to EBC. There are no flights till the next morning so you can spend your late afternoon on the street in Lukla, meeting other trekkers coming and going and share your stories. We will fly down to Kathmandu the next morning. After the EBC trip you can enjoy your holiday as per itinerary… Sightseeing or shopping can be arranged in Kathmandu – as you like.
Everest base camp trekking itinerary
Round trip – Everest Base Camp- Kalapatthar (5545m)
Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu airport Nepal. Up on arrival meet our office representative at airport and transfer to hotel/ after refreshing complete the official formalities/ briefing about the preparation and rest of the day free for your own leisure/overnight at hotel in BB Basis.
Day 02: Full day guided sightseeing around Kathmandu city- Patan Durbar Square area, Pasupatinath Temple & Swyambhunath Stupa which will take you to visit Nepal’s most popular attractions and lunch break will be during the tour at best restaurants available/overnight at hotel in BB Basis.
Day 03: Fly to Lukla (2800m), start trek to Phakding (2610m)/overnight at teahouse. (All meals Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner will be served at teahouse lodge restaurant)
Day 04: Trek Phakding (2610m) to Namche Bazaar (3500m)/overnight at teahouse. (All meals Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner will be served at teahouse lodge restaurant)
Day 05: Acclimatization day at Namche Bazaar (3500m)/overnight at teahouse. (All meals Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner will be served at teahouse lodge restaurant)
Day 06: Trek Namche Bazaar (3500m) to Tengboche (3870m) /overnight at teahouse. (All meals Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner will be served at teahouse lodge restaurant)
Day 07: Trek Tengboche (3850m) to Dingbuche (4360m) /overnight at teahouse. (All meals Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner will be served at teahouse lodge restaurant)
Day 08: Rest day at Dingbuche, another day for acclimatization or explore around or hike and overnight at teahouse. (All meals Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner will be served at teahouse lodge restaurant)
Day 09: Trek Dingbuche (4360m) to Lobuche (4950m)/overnight at teahouse. (All meals Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner will be served at teahouse lodge restaurant)
Day 10: Trek Lobuche to Ghorakshep (5140m)/Visit Everest Base camp (5365m)/overnight at teahouse. (All meals Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner will be served at teahouse lodge restaurant)
Day 11: Visit Kalapatthar (5545m)/Mt Everest view/trek to Pheriche (4210m) Village/overnight at teahouse. (All meals Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner will be served at teahouse lodge restaurant)
Day 12: Trek Pheriche to Phortse (3810m)/overnight at teahouse. (All meals Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner will be served at teahouse lodge restaurant)
Day 13: Trek Phortse to Monjo (2835m) /overnight at teahouse. (All meals Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner will be served at teahouse lodge restaurant)
Day 14: Trek Monjo to Lukla (2800m) /overnight at teahouse. (All meals Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner will be served at teahouse lodge restaurant)
Day 15: Early in the morning, transfer to airport and fly back from Lukla to Kathmandu, end the trip and transfer to hotel, rest and afternoon free for personal activities. Evening fare well dinner with culture show at Nepalese Traditional Kitchen you will be enjoyed very authentic way of Nepalese hospitalities and overnight at hotel in BB Basis.
Day 16: Free day in Kathmandu.
This day will be useful as flight from Lukla to Kathmandu might be delay because of weather condition. Overnight at hotel in BB Basis.
Day 17: After breakfast transfer to airport for final departure or proceed for onward program. We also organize many different sorts of activities- whitewater rafting, wildlife safari tour, Tibet, Bhutan & India tour and more as you wish to have for onward destination.
- Trip Highlights
- Cost Includes/Excludes
- Equipement for Trip
- Useful Information
EBC Trek highlights
Whole Package Duration: 17 days
Trek Duration: 12 days
Region of Trek: Everest Region - Everest Base Camp/ Kalapatthar
Maximum Altitude: Kalapatthar (5545m)
Trekking Grade: Moderate to Strenuous
Mode of Trek: Tea House Organize
Food & Accommodation: 3 meals per day & Tea House stay
Starting and Ending Point: Kathmandu to Kathmandu
Maximum per day walking: 5-6 hour in average
Transportation: Flight- Kathmandu- Lukla- Kathmandu
Best of the trek: Unique Sherpa culture experience/ breathtaking views from Kalapatthar/ Namche Bazaar
Sightseeing Tour: One day in Kathmandu Valley
Best Time to Do: Spring and Autumn Season
Altitude chart of EBC trekking
Everest base camp trekking cost: Please contact us for cost details
The package includes:
- Airport transfers - pick up and drop upon arrival and departure
- Entry permit to Sagarmatha National Park and TIMS fee
- Supporting staffs (trekking guide and porter), as well as their necessary insurance, and accommodation meals allowance and salary
- Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner -3 meals per day and overnight accommodation in tea house lodge along the trail.
- Domestic airfare and airport tax round trip (Kathmandu - Lukla – Kathmandu for the trekking )
- 3- Nights accommodation in Kathmandu in BB basis before and after the trek.
- City Tours as per above program, inclusive of all entry permits, tour guide and transportation
- Comprehensive First Aid kit pack
The package does not include:
- International flight ticket and airport tax
- Lunch and dinner during the Kathmandu stay
- Travel / medical insurance and emergency evacuation cost
- Personal expenses such as laundry, telephone calls, alcoholic beverages, bottled drinks (including cold drinks and mineral/hot water/shower, tea-coffee, chocolate hot drinks), tips for the guide, porter & other staffs etc.
- Additional costs- extra days stay, incase of flight cancellation due to the natural calamities, bad weather forecast and other unforeseen circumstances
- Personal trekking gear for the trip
Equipment or clothing required for trip
- 3-4 season sleeping bag with hood
- Thermo rest self-inflating pad or foam mat
- Main luggage- Rucksack or Duffel
- 30 - 40 liter Daypack- to carry water bottles, camera, lunch & extra clothing
- Stuff sacks and plastic bags for keeping your gear dry and organized
- Water bottles with a wide mouth
- A pair adjustable trekking poles
- Insulated plastic mug (optional)
- Pocketknife Swiss army style (optional)
- Toiletries bag for toilet paper, soap, saving items, tooth paste & toothbrush etc
- Running shoes or sandals-to used in camp/ teahouse lodge
- Hiking boots- good quality
- Gaiters- a pair to use to keep boots dry if walking through deep snow or on wet ground
- Woolen or Pile Socks-heavy weight wool to be worn over the liner socks
- Liner Socks-smooth thin liner socks to reduce of getting blisters
- Knee or ankles support pad
Clothing items for trip
- Gore-Tex pants and jacket with hood
- Medium weight down jacket with hood
- Light trekking trouser
- Long sleeve light colored polypropylene shirts
- Polar Tec fleece jacket
- Thermal underwear for both top & bottom
- Polar Tec fleece pant
- Personal under garments
- Quick dry type towel
- Casual wears before after the trek
- Polypropylene liner gloves
- Fleece gloves
- Good quality mittens or gloves
- Warm woolen or fleecy hat/balaclava
- Sun hat or cap with bandana for shading the neck
- Bandana or scarf
- Headlamp for use at night around the camp with extra batteries and spare bulbs
- High quality sunglasses with 100% UV protection
- Dust mask
Other Travel Accessories
- Sunscreen and lip salve SPF 30 or above
- Insect repellant
- Water purification tablets (iodine or chlorine)
- Favorite snack items
- Reading & writing materials, ipod and cards
- Camera, memory card and extra battery
- Passport photo copy & photos
- Insurance certificate copy
- Earplugs (optional)
- Baby wipes (optional)
- Anti bacterial hand gel (optional)
Personal first aid kit pack
- Any personal medications
- Malaria prophylactic tablets
- Antibiotics capsules
- Imodium and anti amoebious, bacterial tablets
- Blister treatment plasts
- Dehydration solution
- Analgesic- Paracetamol, aspirin
- Anti cold tablets
- Diclofenac gel
- Antiseptic cream & throat lozenges
- Diamox for AMS
- Sanitary pad (for women)
- Ear & eye drop
Everest base camp trek highlights
Explore Everest base camp, Kalapatthar and Khumbu ice fall views from Kalapatthar awe- inspiring, encounter highland Sherpa people’s life style and their unique cultural hospitality, probably one of the world’s most popular destination visits. This trek is total mountain adventure journey to roof of the world, opportunities for outstanding photographic and many chaos encounter of typical culture in highland. Among of them along Everest base camp Kalapatthar trek take you to visit polar places like; Namche Bazar, Tengboche Monastery, Khumjung and Pangboche Sherpa villages and more Sherpa ethnic villages along the trailhead. We want to advice you about best time to visit for Everest base camp trekking which is March, April, September, October and November. Early December and late February also better for your visit.
Consideration on EBC trek
Proposed itinerary of this trek is just an outline guide and standard model of package basis given here provided by Himalayan Mentor (P) Ltd. The entire trip package can be customized according to your specific requirements and services standard as you wish to have for your holiday. Generally in fact an adventure trip package of this type sometime affected by unforeseen circumstances like bad weather forecast, flight delay and multitude of other factors which are beyond our control can result in a change of original itinerary.
However, trip itinerary of Everest base camp trekking is very rare case that the original schedule would be considerably altered, so if alterations are needed the trip leader or guide (person in charge) will make a decision what is the best alternative, taking into consideration the best interests of the whole group. Where as if a change does arise, we do everything as we can reduce its effect, but we cannot be liable for the results of changes or delays affected your original schedule.