Guerrilla Trekking Trail - Nepal
Guerrilla trekking trail of Rukum-Rolpa area is a virgin land, restricted, impossible and extremely difficult for outside world over a decade during long people’s war in Nepal. The land is known as most playground for revolutionary people, their perfect hideout and running their own government. The small yet naturally beautiful place is now open and heartily welcoming people from outside. The place is blessed with rich flora and fauna, unmatchable natural beauty, rich cultural heritage and adventurous trails once used by Guerillas during people’s war in Nepal are the main attraction in Rukum. If you are seeking for research trip to Nepal about Moist-Civil War, this will be your research trekking holiday in Nepal.
Lies in the mid-western part of Nepal, in a hilly region, friendly and smiley people, Rukum has so many things to offer and will be fascinated by traveling though several unspoiled villages, innocents people, their unique cultures, awesome Himalayan ranges of Sisne, Putha , Dhaulagiri, Chauri peaks.
With their main occupations of agriculture and foreign employments, conflict has changed their social life and looking further to prosper economically through tourism. A great opportunity to learn Rich Kham magar cultures, exceptional people’s lifestyles, seeing the war remnant, amazing view of Mt. Sisne (virgin), Putha, Chauri and beautiful landscapes are the main attraction in Rukum. Towards the end of the trek you will be passing through vast pasture lands, and magnificent Dhorpatan regions with dense pine tree jungles. Dhorpatan is only a hunting reserve of the nation where hunting activities can be permitted under control of wildlife provision law.
Guerrilla Trail Trekking Itinerary
Day 01: Drive Kathmandu–Khaula by Bus or fly to Nepalgunj then drive to Khaula, Khaula is main entrance to Rukum, boarder with Salyan and O/N tented camp or cultural home stay basis.
Day 02: Trek Khaula – Simroute: Greeting by Mt.Sisne (virgin peak) unexplored, Putha and Dhuala giri ranges eye-catching landscapes and view of various western districts of Nepal, remnants of people’s war spots, wheat, greenery fields and rhododendron all along the trails. O/N tented camp or cultural home stay basis.
Day 03: Trek Simroute –Musikot: capital of Rukum lies in hills region, sightseeing around Khalanga, Airport, Digre temples, splendid Bheri river scene and spectacular mountains view. O/N tented camp or cultural home stay basis.
Day 04: Trek Musikot –Gilbang: Mountain safari, hills and mountains, wonderful mountain people, villages and their typical cultural lifestyles experiences. O/N tented camp or cultural home stay basis.
Day 05: Trek Gilbang –Bafikot – Syarpu Lake: Historical old durbar, first People’s government during people’s war, Syarpu Lake and surrounding villages and their cultures. O/N tented camp or cultural home stay basis.
Day 06: Syarpu Lake – Kunakhet – Melgairi – Pipal-Pokhara: Major guerrilla trails also known as east-west guerrilla highway, trails passing through some of the local villages, their cultures, first massacre of Melgairi, come across many orphans, tortured, widows during people’s war. So many heart touching stories during the insurgency period and O/N tented camp or cultural home stay basis.
Day 07: Pokahara – Rukumkot: Hotsprings, guerella trails continue, Kamal Lake, 52 Hills and 53 Lakes, old Durbar, Deurali cave, major assault between insurgent and police. O/N tented camp or cultural home stay basis.
Day 08: Exploration day- visit this historical area and enjoy local culture, rest and O/N tented camp or cultural home stay basis.
Day 09: Rukumkot – Mahat: mountain regions, hills, beautiful forests, some beautiful view of Himalayan ranges. O/N tented camp or cultural home stay basis. O/N tented camp or cultural home stay basis.
Day 10: Mahat – Kankri: cluster of Kham village, slightly strenuous trek, guerrillas trails continue. At kankri you will experience unique Kham cultures, different dances of local tradition. O/N tented camp or cultural home stay basis. O/N tented camp or cultural home stay basis.
Day 11: Kankri – Taksera: adventurous journey, steep hills, crossing eye-catching Kham villages and , unique Kham cultures, O/N tented camp or cultural home stay basis. O/N tented camp or cultural home stay basis.
Day 12: Taka sera – Uttar Ganga: Dhorpataan reserve begins splendid snow hills, dense pine tree forests, and awesome snow caped Himalayan rangers. O/N tented camp or cultural home stay basis. O/N tented camp or cultural home stay basis.
Day 13: Uttar Ganga – Burtibang : Dhorpatan reserves continues with different landscape of dense pine trees forest ,steep pasturelands and , Himalayan ranges view , small Kham and dalit houses along the treks. O/N tented camp or cultural home stay basis.
Day14: Drive back Burtibang – Kathmandu, end the trek and overnight in hotel.
- Trip Highlights
- Cost Includes/Excludes
- Equipement for Trip
- Useful Information
Guerrilla trekking highlights
Whole Package Duration: 14 days
Trek Duration: 12days normal route
Region of Trek: Western Nepal
Trekking Grade: General (soft route - moderate)
Mode of Trek: Tea House Organize/Homestay or Camping
Food & Accommodation: 3 meals per day
Starting and Ending Point: Khaula and Burtibang
Maximum per day walking: 6-7 hour in average
Transportation: Chartered Vehicle or Tourist Bus or Public bus
Best of the trek: Heartwarming Nepali hospitality, sensational Himalayan vistas, mid-hills scenery and terraced fields, ancient villages, recent historical sites in a post-conflict zone, Kham and native cultures, sacred caves, lakes, magnificent waterfalls.
Best Time to Do: Spring and Autumn Season
Trip Cost: Please contact us for cost details
Trek Package Cost Includes
- Airport transfers - pick up and drop upon arrival and departure
- Full board basis on the way of trekking- Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner -3 meals per day and overnight accommodation at tea house lodge/ homestay or tented camp.
- Transportation- to starting point and ending point
- Necessary restricted area trekking permit, conservation and TIMS fee.
- Supporting staffs (trekking guide and porter), as well as their necessary insurance, and accommodation meals allowance and salary
- Transportation as per itinerary
- Wildness First aid kit pack for the trekking.
Trek Package Cost Excludes
- Hotel in Kathmandu or extra days stay except mentioned in package.
- Food (Lunch & Dinner) before and after the trip.
- Personal expenses such as laundry, telephone calls, alcoholic beverages, bottled drinks (including cold drinks and mineral), tips for guide, porters, kitchen & camping team etc.
- Travel insurance and emergency evacuation cost.
- Additional costs- extra days stay, incase of flight cancellation due to the natural calamities, bad weather forecast and other unforeseen circumstances
- Personal trekking gear for the trek.
Equipment or clothing required for trip
- 3-4 season sleeping bag with hood
- Thermo rest self-inflating pad or foam mat
- Main luggage- Rucksack or Duffel
- 30 - 40 liter Daypack- to carry water bottles, camera, lunch & extra clothing
- Stuff sacks and plastic bags for keeping your gear dry and organized
- Water bottles with a wide mouth
- A pair adjustable trekking poles
- Insulated plastic mug (optional)
- Pocketknife Swiss army style (optional)
- Toiletries bag for toilet paper, soap, saving items, tooth paste & toothbrush etc
- Running shoes or sandals-to used in camp/ teahouse lodge
- Hiking boots- good quality
- Gaiters- a pair to use to keep boots dry if walking through deep snow or on wet ground
- Woolen or Pile Socks-heavy weight wool to be worn over the liner socks
- Liner Socks-smooth thin liner socks to reduce of getting blisters
- Knee or ankles support pad
Clothing items for trip
- Gore-Tex pants and jacket with hood
- Medium weight down jacket with hood
- Light trekking trouser
- Long sleeve light colored polypropylene shirts
- Polar Tec fleece jacket
- Thermal underwear for both top & bottom
- Polar Tec fleece pant
- Personal under garments
- Quick dry type towel
- Casual wears before after the trek
- Polypropylene liner gloves
- Fleece gloves
- Good quality mittens or gloves
- Warm woolen or fleecy hat/balaclava
- Sun hat or cap with bandana for shading the neck
- Bandana or scarf
- Headlamp for use at night around the camp with extra batteries and spare bulbs
- High quality sunglasses with 100% UV protection
- Dust mask
Other Travel Accessories
- Sunscreen and lip salve SPF 30 or above
- Insect repellant
- Water purification tablets (iodine or chlorine)
- Favorite snack items
- Reading & writing materials, ipod and cards
- Camera, memory card and extra battery
- Passport photo copy & photos
- Insurance certificate copy
- Earplugs (optional)
- Baby wipes (optional)
- Anti bacterial hand gel (optional)
Personal first aid kit pack
- Any personal medications
- Malaria prophylactic tablets
- Antibiotics capsules
- Imodium and anti amoebious, bacterial tablets
- Blister treatment plasts
- Dehydration solution
- Analgesic- Paracetamol, aspirin
- Anti cold tablets
- Diclofenac gel
- Antiseptic cream & throat lozenges
- Diamox for AMS
- Sanitary pad (for women)
- Ear & eye drop